Thursday, March 20, 2014
My First Memoir
I wrote my memoir on what I feel was my biggest turning point, which was something that happened about six months ago. I wrote about my journey from the lowest point of my life, to the happiest time of my life, which is now. It started with my ex girlfriend of two years breaking up with me, and in that same week my parents got separated. My life was turned upside down in a matter of days. Writing about these experiences and having to replay these memories in my head and bring them back to life was a hard thing to do. I know the more I write about it, the better I will feel about sharing it. I picked this turning point because I feel like I could put a lot into it, and possibly help someone else out who has been through similar things in life. While writing in class I kept thinking to myself "what if someone takes my notebook and looks at what I wrote" and "I wonder if someone is looking over my shoulder and reading my paper". I don't mind sharing parts of my story, but some parts seem to cut a little deeper. As time goes on I know the essay will get easier to share. I don't like how my story begins, but the ending and the journey I went through to get where I am today was the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I am happy to talk about it. In fact the more I talk about it, the happier it makes me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This was one of the most relatable posts I have read while responding to our classmates’ blogs. I felt a wave of relief as I read that you were always worried someone would read your journal, even though there’s nothing bad in there, just that some of the details are more personal then others. I feel the same way. I use my journal in a way that makes me know I can write literally anything that is on my mind, and it is solely mine. I write things that I don’t mind sharing to other people, in fact, I share many of my journal entries with my boyfriend, but just knowing that it is my place to write down whatever thoughts pass through my head is refreshing. In the beginning, writing my memoir was just like my journal- something I didn’t mind talking about, as long as it was on my terms, and I could share what I wanted. At the end though, I was able to share mine openly and happily just as you were.
ReplyDeleteYou said that writing and replaying the memories was hard for you. It was difficult for me as well. My memoir was about my struggle with epilepsy and at one point in it, I describe myself as being able to taste blood after I had bitten through my tongue. When I wrote that line I could recall and almost begin to feel again the stinging pain from where my teeth punctured my tongue; it almost felt like I could taste the blood again. Strong, vivid memories like that one made my memoir better but finding the courage to share them was difficult.
ReplyDelete