Velcro words: shame. "everyone laughed and pointed at me" "it was when I found out I had to talk that school became a misery"
Feelings:
Sorrowful, loneliness, curiosity, embarrassment
Questions: What is a saucer? What time period was this? why did she not receive any special language help from a teacher or translator?
I chose to read this excerpt because I feel as if I can relate to the author. Though I have always been able to speak well, I still find it sometimes hard to speak in a class full of people. If I do not know anyone in a classroom it is hard for me to speak, but if I know just a select few students, I can talk as much as anybody. School can be miserable when you don't talk, but once you talk and make new friends, it really isn't so bad. I feel sorrowful for the writer with her experience, and it leaves me in awe that the young children would laugh at her, and make fun of her. I use to get picked on for being fat when I was younger, and it changed who I am today for the better. I decided to play sports and get into shape, and I use those memories to push myself at the gym.
I completely understand what you were saying, and I feel exactly the same way. I did not speak in class while I was in China even though I speak Chinese well. I was afraid that people would laugh at me when I talked for any reason. Now I am here in United States where I have to speak my second language; English, which is even more difficult for me to speak in class.
ReplyDelete