Friday, March 21, 2014

This I Believe

Writing down a memory seemed challenging for me today. I feel as if I am given the capability to write anything that I want, but my mind doesn't know where to even begin. I get blocked with trying to recall memories that are in my mind some place distant, that are easily brought up any time except for when I begin to write. I don't know if it is writer's block because once I come up with an actual event to write about, I'm capable of free writing for a solid five minutes. My only problem is coming up with a topic to write about, I'm only 18 years old and compared to the event-filled lives of my professor and other students, I feel like none of my events are notable enough to share. I agree with Professor Dagher's statement today in class, about how we need to communicate more, and I would love to be at the point where I can willingly share my work. My only problem with sharing my work is like you said, I feel like I am being critiqued by my fellow classmates.

2 comments:

  1. It seems that each time we are given time to cluster or brainstorm memories in class, I encounter the same problem. My problem is just like yours but slightly different. I had a life-changing event that happened February 2013, and it has changed every fiber of my being to where I live, what I do in my free time, how I react to things, and who I hang out with. That being said, when it comes time to free-write about a life event, I can only focus on that one thing. It is an amazing change, and I am so happy about it, but I feel as if it is all that’s important in my life, and it blocks out everything else. When I do find an idea, I can free-write on it, just like you said you do. It’s nice to know there is someone in class who feels as if they have constant writers block when it comes to ideas and events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the exact same as you. Clustering is a nightmare for me, I can never connect memories to details and it is very frustrating. I'm only 18 years old and I don't feel like I've done anything worthy of being written about. Most of my freewrites in the morning are literally my exact thoughts running through my head. Sometimes I feel shallow because I don't have the life experience to share that some of the other, older students do. The only thing I could think to write about in my memoir was my high school graduation, something so little compared to the things experienced by other people. I don't feel as though anything life changing has happened to me. I understand how hard it is to share work, also; I feel like I'm being judged.

    ReplyDelete