Friday, April 4, 2014
Reflecting on My Childhood
This week in class we wrote letters to our younger selves reflecting back on a point in our childhood that was not so great. I wrote my letter to my middle school self. I was new to my middle school and didn't have any friends in any of my classes, I was struggling to figure out who I was while trying to make friends. Making new friends was always a challenge for me, I was always the shy and quite kid in school, and to a lesser extent I still somewhat am. Along with the shyness I was also suffering from weight issues, and I remember getting picked on for being "chubby". During recess I always wanted to play football with everybody else, but I was always picked last because I couldn't run fast. If I could go back and tell myself one thing, it would be "don't let other people define you, and take the negatives of your life and turn them into a positive". When I was twelve I had appendicitis and had to have surgery. The surgery and the pain in my stomach made me nauseous every time I would try to eat for at least two weeks. Because of this I ended up loosing almost 30 pounds, which I didn't gain back until my sophomore year. My freshman year of high school I decided I wanted to try something new, wrestling. Tryouts were the most grueling and painful thing I had ever been through, but I used my desire to better myself and to never be the kid that got picked last again. I pushed myself as hard as I could, I remembered what it was like being picked on for not being athletic, and having that in the back of my mind throughout my high school career led me to be the best that I could be, and I ended up being co-captain of the wrestling team my senior year. Reflecting back on my childhood I believe that every struggle that I have been through has molded me into a better person today, and I am proud of how far I have come in life,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sometime when we look back to our pass, we do not want to go back again just because it was not a pride. But some did have a wonderful childhood, and that period was some much amazing they want to go back again, and unfortunately they have to go forward by moving on. Life is made of changes, and for some it is better changes, but for others it bad and even worse. Your change is the most you expected in your life, and this made you be proud, and this is a good thing. More you expect a change in your life more it will happen, and if it is in a way of a goal, you will reach that goal.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with what you are saying about "don't let other people define you, andyou and take the negatives of your life and turn them into a positive" I had the same issue with you when I was in middle school. My classmates always laughed at my fatness that made me really frustrated, but I did not say anything back. Then I spent the whole summer vocation to do exercise, and I lost almost 20 pounds. I became more confident after that, and I learned that don't let other people's words or behaviors beat you down, trust yourself that you can be better.
ReplyDelete